You’ve no doubt been asked by skincare professionals whether you have dry or oily skin. This is no way a reflection on you or your health practices, but there are ways that you can address the dryness and enjoy a healthier skin. When it comes to sourcing a dry skincare routine, you want to adopt one that relies on natural materials and processes. This is beneficial both for you, and the environment. Here’s a look at the best natural skincare routine you can us to eliminate the dryness!
What is dry skin?
Just like oily or combination skin, dry skin is a type rather than a lack of submerging yourself in water constantly. Typically, skin that is dry is lacking in natural oils and lipids which results in a much flakier appearance. People who suffer from dry skin will experience:
- White flakes on the skin;
- A scaly appearance;
- Red or irritated skin;
- Conditions such as psoriasis, eczema, or dermatitis
How to test if you have dry skin
Most people are generally aware as to whether or not they have dry skin, but if you’re unsure, you can try the pinch test. This is where you pinch a small amount of skin on your check, abdomen, chest or back of the hand and hold it for a few seconds. If the skin takes some time to bounce back, you’re likely dehydrated.
What are the causes of dry skin?
Dry skin can be exacerbated by a number of things, so before even embarking on your natural skincare routine, check that you’re not doing too much of the following.
- Caffeine: Drinking too much caffeine, and not supplementing the body with sufficient water, is one way to dry out your skin over time.
- Hot water: Having very hot baths and showers strips your skin of natural oils and result sin skin dryness, irritation and even damage.
- Harsh chemicals: Using chemical-laden products on your skin will make any dry skin condition that much worse. These include chemical peels, retinoids, glycolic acid, benzoyl peroxide, salicylic acid, alcohol, fragrance and preservatives.
- Hard water: If your water has high concentrations of minerals like magnesium and calcium, it’s considered hard water which can lead to skin dryness.
- Dry air: If you reside in a dry area, particularly with a lot of heat, you will need to counter this with the correct natural skincare products and possibly a humidifier.
What is the best natural skincare routine for dry or dehydrated skin?
The first thing to do is check your skincare range to ensure you’re using a natural product that enhances your skin health rather than layering your skin with synthetic chemicals. Once you’ve found a reputable, natural skincare range, you can practice the following natural skincare routine.
- Use a cleansing cream with warm water.
- Apply a facial toner.
- Moisturise using a day cream or revitalising lotion.
- Apply a hydrating eye cream.
- Cleanse your face using a soothing, cleansing milk.
- Apply facial toner or a renewing night conditioner, particularly around the change of season.
- Apply a night cream. Do not use an oil-based night cream as this slows down the natural processes of the skin. A water-based night cream can be highly stimulating, alternatively use a night serum a few times a year.
*Twice weekly it’s advised that you use a hydrating cream mask.
*Use a natural sunscreen as this protects your skin from sunburn which could lead to further skin dryness and damage.
Dangers of dry skin
Dry skin is mostly harmless, but if left untreated there is the possibility that you can suffer from more serious skin conditions such as eczema or psoriasis. It’s important to talk to your doctor or dermatologist about possible underlying skin conditions. A broken skin barrier as a result of dry skin can also lead to infection, so it’s important to use a product to protect your skin health.
To address dry skin with the best natural skincare range, it’s worth investing in Dr Hauschka. This is one of the leading South African natural skincare ranges that ticks all the boxed for treating dry or oily skin conditions. This is a 100% organic, cruelty-free, premium skincare product established in 1967, which draws on extensive research, and a deep understanding of nature to formulate an effective skincare range harmony with the environment. To find out more visit www.drhauschka.co.za.