Pregnancy is a time of extreme change and wonder for a woman, but it does take its toll on the mother’s body. The skin is one area that can be impacted by the hormonal and growth changes associated with this stage, so it’s important that skincare regimes are not overlooked. The safety of the unborn child is paramount, so it’s important that, whatever the skincare routine used, it incorporates all-natural and safe ingredients. Here’s a safe pregnancy skincare routine you can consider.
What happens to your skin when you’re pregnant?
If you’ve just started on your pregnancy journey, then you would have experienced some changes to the body, but not necessarily all the skin-related changes as yet. Remember that not every mother will experience these skincare changes, but it’s worth caring for the skin from the start just in case.
- Stretch marks: The belly skin, in particular, will stretch substantially to accommodate the baby bump. This means that almost 90% of women will experience stretch marks around the abdomen and breasts.
- Line Nigra: This is a darkened vertical line down the middle of the pregnant belly that will fade after delivery.
- Pregnancy glow: The body is producing 50% more blood for increased circulation. Add to this the hormones causing oil glands to go into overdrive, and you have a ‘pregnancy glow’ – perspiration and excess oil.
- Mask of pregnancy / melasma / chloasma: More hormones increase pigmentation, causing dark, splotchy spots on the forehead and cheeks.
- Acne: The additional hormones cause more oil secretion which can lead to breakouts.
- Varicose veins: The body has to compensate for extra blood flow to the baby which can lead to bulky, bluish veins on the legs. These should fade shortly after delivery.
- Dry and itchy skin: The stretching of the skin can lead to dryness and itchiness.
- Skin tags: These are small, loose growths of skin under the arms or breasts that should disappear after delivery.
What is a safe skincare routine for pregnancy?
Don’t be alarmed! As mentioned, not all pregnant women will undergo the skin conditions and there are skincare routines you can adopt to minimise these. It’s important that whatever skincare routine you use, the range is 100% natural and organic. One leading brand is Dr Hauschka, which is specially formulated to protect mother and child.
What do they include?
Dr Hauschka’s range includes a harmonised blend of high-quality, botanical ingredients which are specially formulated to support the ever-changing needs of your skin, naturally. The range of rose-powered products are especially gentle, providing skin-deep nourishment. These are some of the skincare products to consider using during pregnancy.
1. Blackthorn Toning Body Oil
Awarded the ‘Best for Stretch Marks’ at the 2022 Hip & Healthy Mother and Baby Awards, this strengthening body oil features a unique blend of blackthorn blossom and birch leaf to help support skin elasticity and reduce the appearance of stretch marks during pregnancy. The Blackthorn Toning Body Oil can be used from early on to increase the skin’s suppleness.
2. Rose Deodorant
This is a 100% natural, certified organic formula, so it’s the perfect companion to use when pregnant and breastfeeding. Rose Deodorant is gentle on skin and free from pore-restricting aluminium salts. This means it allows the underarms to breathe while leaving them reliably protected throughout the day.
3. Rose Nurturing Body Oil
Rose Nurturing Body Oil is made from a blend of organically cultivated rose petals. It’s a soothing and harmonising formula that can also be used during the baby massage to nourish and protect their delicate skin, as well as your own!
4. Rose Nurturing Bath Essence
This gentle mixture is great for those relaxing pregnancy baths, and it’s also suitable for baby skin or sensitive skin at any age. This delicate and harmonising formula of Rose Nurturing Bath Essence is infused with rose water and rose petals to gently soothe and nourish, while also bringing a sense of calm to your bath time.
5. Rose Day Cream
During pregnancy, the skin can become increasingly dry, and the rich and hydrating formula of Rose Day Cream works to instantly nourish skin and relieve signs of redness and irritation. It is also gentle enough to use sparingly on your baby’s face.
6. Facial Toner
This is not one to forget in the hospital bag! The Dr Hauschka Facial Toner can be used to refresh skin during the stresses of labour, and can also act as a quick, easy-to use solution to keep the skin feeling cared for during the postnatal days.
7. Silk Body Powder
The Silk Body Powder is an exquisite and caring baby body powder that has anti-bacterial properties. You can use this on yourself during pregnancy to alleviate the excess oiliness, as well as on your newborn baby as it has rice starch, Silica and extracts of gentian, oak and sage – and is completely talc free.
All Dr Hauschka products and ingredients are evaluated to the highest quality and safety standards and regulations. These mild, safe and gentle products have been relied upon by mothers for decades. If you have allergies to any particular ingredient or concerns about using any product or ingredient while pregnant or breastfeeding, discuss it with your healthcare professional.
Shop the story
Dr. Hauschka Rose Nurturing Bath Essence 100mlR485.00
Dr. Hauschka Rose Nurturing Body Oil 75mlR565.00
Dr. Hauschka Blackthorn Toning Body Oil 75mlR485.00
Dr. Hauschka Rose Deodorant 50mlR345.00
Dr. Hauschka Silk Body Powder 50gR695.00
Dr. Hauschka Rose Day CreamR145.00 – R735.00
Dr. Hauschka Facial TonerR735.00